Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Off the plane.

Dear Inspirations 

Where are my manners? I'm talking to a old friend and it just hit me that I didn't tell you all about my initial reaction when I arrived are when I first saw my grandma! 
Here goes... 
My flight was 9hours (in a middle seat) to Amsterdam. 
It took every thing in me not to lean on the people next to me. 
I flew KLM and my layover was 5 hours in 
Amsterdam!  I wanted to leave the airport but I couldn't the security was strict, I didn't have time to convert money, get lost so I wondered the airport, took a nap   and people watched. The airport was huge.. A meditation centre, shopping mall, small exhibits, a smoking section and of course food. 
Went through security again an Boarded my next flight HOME. 
A easy 6 hours I slept because I had a window seat right after I watched Safe Haven. (Decent movie) 
We landed. I got off the plane and immediately I felt the temperature had changed.  Hot and stuffy. 
I headed straight to the non nigerian passport line. Where immigration was happy to help me (not true) 
Me and a few other people were standing there to realized the flight attendants didn't give us the immigration form. I filled it out left a few things blank I mean no big deal right? 
Wrong!! 
The conversation went a little like this... 
The man said Surname... (Umm I learned this last time but I couldn't remember) 
Surname meant Last name I wrote in my first name. 

Him: The address to where your going? 
The phone number? 

Me: "I don't know" 

I could see him looking at me now in pure disgust...

Him: "What's your grandmas name" 
Me:.... I call her grandma... 
(Moment of shame) 
Him: who's picking you up?
Me: my cousin I'm sure she is outside 
Him: call her..

I proceed to call her of course she doesn't answer. Immigration then let me know that I would not be going through without a proper address. 
They looked at my passport some more and back at me ... (Reminded me if a movie) 

 To make this a shorter story.. I found grandmas number in my old phone she answered the phone with all the excitement in the world! 
"Iyabo" 
Grandma!!! 
 Grandma doesn't speak a whole lot of English but just enough for me. 

She gave him the address and he got off my back. After that he wanted to make jokes! 

I went over to get my luggage and someone from the flight bought me a trolley over. It cost (150Naria) we will get into money later. There are also people there that will get your bags for you but they work on tips. 

Got one foot out the door saw about 20 ppl before I heard my name 
"Jazz my boo" 
Wummyyyyy"

Wummy-my favorite cousin, the traveler, the ultimate hustler,shopper, the only skinny girl I know who looks in the mirror and says I'm fat! My teacher my body guard and my tour guide! 

We got in the cab and came home! We caught up a little bit. 
The house help came out and got my bags (another blog) 

I saw my cousins friends and my other cousin Lanre! 
Then the best Grandma on the face of Nigeria and any other planet came to see me! 
She kissed and hugged me super tight saying "you are welcome" 
She even did a small dance as a part of celebration. Similar to twerking..
Ok maybe not lol 

The feeling was surreal and From then until now I felt at HOME. 
The motherland accepted me in her arms and I don't want to let this feeling go. You can really feel the Love. 

Amsterdam airport I thought the cups were so cool as seats and it reminded me of Sandy! 
In the car. 

Any questions? 
Anything you want to know about Nigeria I will do my best to answer or get the answer for you! 
DearjasmineP@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To motivate. To share. To inspire. To give hope.