Monday, December 15, 2014

DearJasmineP Gifts for Xmas

Dear Inspirations,

This weekend I had the privilege to volunteer at the George R. Brown Convention Center. It was such a joy to be a part of such an awesome event 20 years running. I remember years ago being one of the kids that received a toy in the audience. I remember how it made me feel inside to have someone give me a Christmas present. As I stood on the food line adding wieners to buns and putting chicken nuts on plates it gave me so much life.

As you know I started a shirt campaign in hopes to make enough money to bless a family or individual with something for Christmas. Well, the first set of shirts didn't go as planned and honestly apart of me wanted to give up. I kinda felt defeated, but then I realized that maybe my shirt goal of 75 was to high and sometimes you have to start small. So I relaunched the campaign with a goal of 10 shirts and I lowered the donation amount. Within two days we made the goal!! It gave made me so happy inside that We raised $53!

After we reached the goal I had to figure out how I was going to get a family nominated. I social media buzzed as usual and  in two days I received the first email. I was up late that night and I had just said "I'm going to sleep". When I read that email about 3 precious kids in need my heart was moved so much that I couldn't go to sleep. I had to do something and it was bigger than just the 53$ so the next day I made a few phone calls and tried to see what I could find.

That's when I found out about the Toy Drive, I knew it happened in Houston every year but I wasn't sure when. I signed them up and I even signed myself and Young Ladies of Elegance up to volunteer.

I looked forward to the event for the following week and as time got closer I only hoped that the kids would be able to make it.

They did!!! Their mom had no idea what the event was or who even signed her up. She explained to me that she is working two jobs to make sure that they have a good Christmas. I watched tears fill her eyes and I watched her beautiful kids smile.

That moment changed my life forever. Don't get me wrong I have been giving all year and it made me happy but nothing was like the smile on their faces. They hugged me like I had known them forever they were holding my hands like I was their big sister. The event went on and we hung out when I wasn't serving food.

At the end they got their toy, took a picture with Santa and got their faces painted.

Giving from the heart is what I know I am here to do. Honestly, they can have the 9-5 and the meet the deadlines. I just want to travel the world changing lives and giving to people that's when I am at my happiest.

I will be visiting those kids again on Christmas Eve with another Christmas gift with the funds from the shirt campaign.

Thank you to everyone that donated and gave to the cause. A big thank you to Shelia Jackson Lee and Young Ladies of Elegance/Young Men of Character. Also a thank you to the person that nominated the family. Last but not least Thank you to Carolina Rodriguez #CarosavesChristmas and Adeola Oguntuga for believing in me.



 
 
 
 
I hope that you felt inspired enough to help someone in need or just put a smile on someone's face.
 
Love JasmineP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To motivate. To share. To inspire. To give hope.